Wednesday 23 May 2007

Exams, exams, exams

I guess that title is a good indication about what this entry is about. Yes - exam time is upon us once more. I am the world's worst when it comes to revising for exams, but I have yet to fail anything other than Higher Maths back in 6th year in high school.

Of the four modules I'm doing this year, only two have exams, which makes me very happy indeed. I am slightly worried about the Media Law for Journalists exam though, as it isn't my strongest subject. I do, however, thoroughly enjoy this module, so revising shouldn't be as mind-crushingly boring as it could be. My other exam, Popular Culture, is an open book exam (cue squee of excitement) so I don't have to worry too much about this one. I also love this module (albeit the hard work I've had to put in) so should be a good exam. I'll probably write about Blade Runner (as much as I detest it, I know it inside out), Dracula and Jekyll and Hyde. Though I would like to give other things a go, I don't feel I know enough to give good answers.

One thing that does bug me is the time of these exams. They both start at 17:30 and finish and 19.30. I just cannot see young minds like the one I posess being at full learning capacity at this time in the evening. I know that I don't work well past dinner time, no matter how pressing the work is. Lets hope my brain can overcome this for two exams.

We've been getting more and more frantic people in work coming in to buy past papers. They get angry if we don't have what they're after, but can they blame us? Surely they should have been more prepared and bought them well in advance? Though, to contradict myself here, I tend to do revision last minute.
I really just need this academic year to be over. It's not been the best for me, and I've lived through some rubbish times at high school. Craig, a fellow journalist, has been feeling the same - he just wants it all to be over. We have our nice long summer holiday to recover and then we can return all fresh and ready to work towards our degree. We're all intrigued about our new modules next year. I picked Production Journalism and Online Journalism as my two elective/option modules and am looking forward to seeing how they'll turn out. But for now, I don't want to think about that, I want to enjoy my summer to the absolute maximum.

It's 35 days until I leave the sunny shores of Scotland for three weeks. I'm off to Japan (cue second squee of excitement) and really cannot wait. As you can tell by the countdown, I'm possibly going to explode with excitment for this holiday. Japan has been in my mind for years, and I've always wanted to go there. So myself and two school friends - Rhona and Helen - decided that we should go, and go we shall! We'll be doing a lot of travelling within Japan as we want to see as much as we can in the three weeks we're going. I'll try to get online as much as I can throughout the holiday to post blogs about our adventures, which include climbing Mt. Fuji and visiting Mt. Dread, otherwise known as the Gateway of Hell.

Before my holiday, I have one small thing to look forward to - a gig. I am a huge lover of gigs. This one is to see the Finnish band The 69 Eyes - one of my favourite bands right now. I have seen them once before, back in 2004 when they were supporting Wednesday 13. They aren't very well known in the UK (if at all) and so it's a fairly small (which means cheap!) gig. I prefer small gigs though, because that means you get a cosier atmosphere, and are closer to the band. I have to admit that I have a inner rabid fangirl for this band, but she is not let out very often. I shall have to exercise a lot of self restraint to keep her in check. The gig is at King Tuts in Glasgow on 30th May - a week tomorrow. (cue third squee)
Until the next entry my dears...
Rachie

1 comment:

marilyn's_shampoo said...

"I have to admit that I have a inner rabid fangirl for this band, but she is not let out very often. I shall have to exercise a lot of self restraint to keep her in check."

nah, let it all out i say!